Sunday, July 01, 2007
MNG Digest Issue 1Week of 24 Jun 07 - 30 Jun 07_________________________
Monday 25 Jun 07There are actually many kind Singaporean souls around.
Just encountered one today.
I was at the traffic light junction and it started to pour.
As I glanced towards my left,
I saw a Malay lady offering to share her blue umbrella
with an Indian lady who apparently was trying to seek a little tiny weeny shelter
by standing closer to the traffic light post.
So they both came under one umbrella
and walked together to their destination(s).
A pretty encouraging sight to witness
as it somehow managed to brighten up my day.
A perfect example of
Racial Harmony in Singapore. =)
Tuesday 26 Jun 07Quite a fruitful day I must say.
Mentioned to take a tour down to the restaurant kitchen
and had a glimpse of their operation,
though my main objective there was to shoot some photos
for training purposes.
There's this HACCP policy training coming up for all F&B staff.
I had long ago completed the powerpoint slides for the lessons.
Now, just needed some real life pictures to add in.
It was indeed an eye-opening.
To see the chefs in action. To see how the food items are stored.
To see the freshly prepared food, neatly placed in the chiller or served on the buffet line.
It made me want to dine in at the restaurant, for the international buffet!! Yummy!! =)
Thursday 28 Jun 07Had been struggling to create a crossword puzzle of 40 words yesterday and today.
It's not that easy as it seemed.
Had been cracking my head and re-doing several times to get all the words fit in.
Until I began to murmur to myself
and the training manager who was sitting in front of me asked, "Xiaoli, are you okay? I think you are qualified to be in this HR department, cos you are starting to sigh and talk to yourself."
Nonetheless, a sense of triumph ran through me when I finally completed it in the evening. Yay!
Friday 29 Jun 07Went with the F&B Chef Steward to Parkroyal on Kitchener Road (PKIT) to continue taking photos.
Managed to slack a bit while we were served with some light high tea (beverages and cookies).
So... I just got to realise that PKIT is somehow catered more to a particular race/nationality.
One reason is it is situated in Serangoon area and right beside the 24-hour Mustafa centre. =)
Saturday 30 Jun 07Looking back at the week that had past.
And comparing it with the first month of work.
It was totally poles apart.
My job scope was widened... I'm moving away from those pure admin stuff,
though not entirely washing my hands off it.
The camaraderie between and my colleagues seemed to get better.
And for the first time, I can proudly say that I'm enjoying the internship. Lolz.
This is especially so whenever I met people on my way around the hotel.
They know me and I know them. We smiled and/or greeted one another.
The feeling was simply great. At least we don't just pass each other without any acknowledgement.
Thus one thing I learnt is that,
sometimes, the first stage can be difficult.
Time is needed for things to fit in and for people to assimilate themselves into the environment.
Nonetheless, one more month to go! =)
mngtalk ^___~
2:12 PM